KUSKOVO. THE HERMITAGE PAVILION
Moscow, Kuskovo Museum-Estate
The Hermitage Pavilion (from the French ermitage - a hermit's hut) is located in the southwestern part of the Kuskovo regular park. In the 18th century the Hermitage(like other park pavilions) was used to receive guests, and its name emphasised the purpose of the pavilion, intended for entertainment in a close circle of a select society. In addition, its original structure allowed people to rest on the second floor without servants. Such "hermitages" were extremely fashionable then.
The Hermitage was built in 1765-67, under the supervision of Karl Blank, a famous Moscow architect. In 2013, the Hermitage pavilion was opened to visitors. Exhibitions of the State Museum of Ceramics are held there.
Planet 9 ©